Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bleeding Blue...

Moving to the great state of Kentucky around high school I wasn't truly exposed to the hysteria about the wildcats. It wasn't till last Saturday that I finally realized why people surround their lives with the most winning program in the nation.I must admit I'm probably not the biggest sports fanatic, however I still enjoy watching a good game. It was until i came to Kentucky, being one the the biggest basketball schools, did i realize how little I knew. The majority of my friends had been bred to bleed blue, displaying their knowledge by constantly spiting facts about players, coaches, even announcers since the beginning of the program.

The school spirit at Kentucky is always on a high but when that beloved basketball season comes around it reaches a completely new level. Attending a school that devotes themselves as fans you can help but to get caught up in it. Never before had I found myself upset at the loss of a game until i realized the respect the basketball team receives. The aura surrounding players on the team is that of a national superstar. With people swarming, smothering, and suffocating from parties to class they are recognized instantaneously.

This current season has only amplified the energy about UK the hype about John Wall has proved to be true. When I hear "John Wall is GOD" coming from the street behind my apartment, which fills with the fans returning home. Like I said earlier it wasn't till last Saturday did I realize the "swagger" about UK until I Attended my first game. Three rows off the court shoulder to shoulder with screaming fans it hit me that this was way more than simply a program instead a lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment