Monday, February 22, 2010

Community vs. State: Part 1

what is the true difference between community and state schooling? It differs from school to school but most community and state have several standard differences. The size alone is probably the most obvious between the two, an average class at a community school will have around 20 students opposed to a minimum of 30. I have attended the University of Kentucky and Bluegrass Community and Technical College and each are very different. At BCTC my average class size was from 15-20 students, unlike where UK I found my self sitting in class with over 200 students.

At the university a question would arise but never get answered due to the fact no one would speak. I mean who want to be the dumb ass that asks the question he just covered in front 200 plus students?
However at BCTC in some of my classes I find myself asking more questions than anyone else. The showed the smaller classes allow the student to feel more comfortable and in touch with the teacher. In my case asking the teacher for help or to clarify the material, allowed me to understand it much easier and progress throughout the semester. Where if I had been at a university that out come probably would have never had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment